MAKING GRANDMA PROUD
DALLAS — Thanks in large part to the constant guidance and wisdom of his grandmother, Houston entrepreneur Marcus Flakes has been blessed mightily to walk in her massive footsteps, having established a well-respected professional culinary resume that’s generating a global presence.
For his valiant efforts, Flakes announced that he’s entered the Favorite Chef Competition.
An event that is spearheaded by celebrity chef Eddie Matney — who’s known for his colorful and innovative culinary skills — chefs from around the globe are invited to compete in an exclusive online competition to be named the world’s Favorite Chef for 2021.
The winner will receive $20,000 and will be featured in a sponsored double page spread in Bon Appetit Magazine, one of the largest cooking publications in the world, according to a detailed introduction of the competition at https://favchef.com/.
For Flakes, that he joined such a notable competition comes amid humble beginnings.
VOTE FOR MARCUS FLAKES: https://favchef.com/2021/marcus-flakes
“(My grandmother’s influence) later inspired me to be what she didn’t have a chance to become due to her age and era,” Flakes, 48, a military veteran, told Making Headline News during a February 2020 interview. “My paternal grandfather was business owner and I’d spend a lot of time watching him run our family store, which is my family’s estate now. He taught me the value of dollar, saving, and investing. I even learned about whole selling, retailing, and counting money backwards when technology wasn’t as advanced as it is today.”
A RELATED STORY
The originator of Marco’s Pepper Grill Food Truck, his awe-inspiring endeavor that opened for operations in March 2020, Flakes deemed it essential to reveal five reasons he elected to thrust his name in the hat to be named Favorite Chef, as told to MHN this week:
- PASSION: “My passion has been diverse where cooking, writing, running a business, and appearing on television have been an aspiration. I’ve aspired to write a book, start a business, and develop award winning menu and completed it all. I now stand in front of the ultimate opportunity to get closer to becoming a TV personality chef.”
- PURPOSE: “I desire to raise the working capital needed for my food truck expansion project for Marco’s Pepper Grill, (i.e., payroll, training and development, and advertising). Winning this competition with the most votes will not only provide a chance to be featured in Bon Appetit Magazine, but also the chance to win $20,000 toward Marco’s Pepper Grill Food Truck Company.”
- FAITH: “I’ve exercised faith in one of the worst times in business history to carry out all of my entrepreneurial endeavors. I’ve invested in my own ideas knowing that God will see it through. This opportunity to win and be featured in a prestige magazine is the faith in the people who have supported me, the faith in my community online and offline to support black owned businesses. I’m destined because I have helped many with a selfless service approach.”
- FAMILY: “I want my children to know what passion, purpose, and faith look like when you’ve had no jokers and wilds in the stack of cards you have been dealt. Winning will restore the feeling and courage in my kids to know that people, places, and products make difference when they become supporters, real estate, and desire” and,
- COMMUNITY: “Wining is not just my personal accomplishment, but it also places me one step closer to demonstrating the successful evidence of hard work as a mentor of our youth and young aspiring chefs and entrepreneurs. I want to give back and this competition is a catalyst to it all.”
For more information about Houston-area Businessman/Author Marcus Flakes of Marco’s Pepper Grill Food Truck, to order his book or to schedule him for a public appearance or book signing, connect with him via social media at: https://www.facebook.com/marcusaflakes/.
CONNECT WITH THIS AWARD-WINNING JOURNALIST FOR MEDIA EXPOSURE
EDITOR’S NOTE: If you are an entrepreneur, business owner, producer, author, athlete, musician, barber, life coach, motivational speaker, cosmetologist, tax preparer, model, or pastor/minister who is seeking exposure and would like to share your story with an in-depth news feature, call Reporter Andre Johnson at 901-690-6587 or Facebook message him under “Andre T. Johnson” for details.
Andre Johnson is the award-winning Founder and Publisher for Making Headline News. A 2000 graduate of the University of Memphis School of Journalism and a former staff reporter of sports for the Memphis Commercial Appeal newspaper, Johnson covers the NBA Southwest Division from Dallas, Texas. To reach Johnson, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or to email@example.com. Also, follow him on Twitter @AJ_Journalist or Instagram at @makingheadlinenews.